4 Duck Breasts
4 Litres Water
175g Morton’s Kosher Salt
100g Brown Sugar
12g Pink Curing Salt #1
5 garlic cloves, smashed
2 1/2 tbsp Pickling Spice
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tbsp Pastrami Rum
Pastrami Rub: 1 tbsp Black Pepper, 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds Cracked, ½ tbsp Coriander powder, ½ tbsp Brown Sugar, 1 tsp Paprika, 1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1 tsp Onion Powder, ½ tsp Mustard Seeds, ½ tsp Mustard Powder.
- To prepare the brine, combine brown sugar, pink salt, kosher salt, garlic, pickling spice and 2 litres of water. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring until sugar and salt is fully dissolved. Allow to fully cool.
- Once the brine is fully cooled, add the duck breast ensuring fully submerged, cover and put in fridge for 5 days.
- After 5 days curing, rinse the Duck Breast with cold water, pat dry and place on a wire rack uncovered inside the fridge for approximately 2-4 hours.
- Set smoker to 110C with Cherry Wood Flavour Bisquettes.
- Drizzle each duck breast with the olive oil and sprinkle the pastrami rub all over the duck, covering well.
- Once the smoker is up to temperature, add the duck breast.
- Smoke for 1.5-2hours until the internal temperature is reading 73C.
- Slice and each in a delicious duck pastrami sandwich with mustard and sauerkraut or however else you wish to enjoy it.